Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Blocks, BlogSpot, and bushwa

 

The new WordPress comments window.

Fuck me running.

The WordPress engineers have taken my comments right off the rails again.

Back in the Day®, when Things Made Sense©, a reader could comment on a blog post in seconds only. Find the little box headlined "Reply;" enter text in the box; punch the "Reply" button (rather than the author of the post); and hey presto! Comment appended to post. 

Easy breezy like a Cover Girl, que no?

Alas, in these Dark Days of Modern Times™, The Block Editor is All. It is not enough that the blogger bow before it; so, too must his readers.

Complaints to the WP "Happiness Engineers" yield replies, eventually, but no real solutions. The subtext seems to be, "Fuck this guy, his outdated machinery and equally ancient software, his Classic Editor, and his retired theme."

Well, shit. I don't like the Block Editor and I don't want to use it. And it seems my readers don't like using it when commenting. What to do, what to do. ...

Here, at BlogSpout, I also must deal with a block editor. It feels slightly less annoying than the WP version, but then again I only fiddle with it when WP annoys me, which they are doing at the moment. Would familiarity breed contempt? Possibly. Probably.

In the meantime, I think I'll publish this post and try commenting on it from another browser, see how that process goes. I'm about one more email from dropping WordPress after more than 20 years, and none of the other hot properties — Substack, Medium, etc. — really suit my needs.

I just want to be able to do my little back-and-forth with my small, deeply disturbed audience. Doesn't seem like too much to ask, but then these are Strange Times, full of Fear and Loathing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this is what I call a simple way to leave a comment.

There is a box, titled "Leave your comment." I can use some HTML tags (bold, italic) if I want. I don't want.

I have to "choose an identity," either my Goggle account (I will be asked to sign in after submitting my comment); my name and URL; or as Anonymous.

There is a CAPTCHA "I'm not a robot" dingus too. But where is there not?